Pages

Monday, February 1

2am Love Story | Live

Only in the silence, I find myself.
Life in the city is so hectic
that you lose the right perspective,
It's important to know that our biggest 
resources are in our heart.
- Rabindranath Tagore



This year I vowed to find more inspiration in the world around me than social media. I vowed to read more beautiful words printed on pages than posted online. I vowed to unplug from the world every once in awhile in order to hear my own voice. These days, we're overstimulated by all this technology at our fingertips and constantly watching the lives of our peers and celebs. Sometimes a break is needed in order to keep our sanity so I decided to fulfill that vow by revisiting one of my first loves, books. I purchased 3 books of poetry by African-American women not only because I wanted to support my sisters but because I felt that our pain would be similar & I needed something that could make sense of the rush of emotions I've been feeling lately. I found all 3 poets via Social Media and I hope to find more artists via social media with printed works I can purchase. But enough rambling, let's get to the book.

The first book I read was For The Love OF 2AM: Poetry for Insomniacs x Zena White.


I discovered Zena on Instagram and fell in love with her feed. It was full of so much self-love and positive imagery and I literally scrolled down well over 15 weeks. All throughout her feed I kept seeing the cover of this book, which I later realized was hers. I immediately searched for it on Amazon & found it. The title of the book definitely sold me because I am a night owl & lover of the night. I often get my best ideas or do my best work after midnight.

The preface page reads: Dedicated to the right sided mind left to wander the night.

And just like that I was hooked. Zena's poems are full of heartbreak, self-discovery, growing pains, joy and love. I loved that her poems weren't overly dark but still expressed sorrow & regret.  There were so many lines that I connected with immediately and then so many lines that crept up on me and captured me without me even realizing it. All in all it is a beautiful book of poems and insight.

The last poem on the book gave me a new mentality about dealing with moments in life "Write that shit down, document it, date it & post it on your wall." I often fall into the trap of stressing over what is yet to be done while forgetting all the amazing things I've already accomplished and just how far I've grown. So I just want to remind you like Zena reminded me that

You are a warrior.

Are you following through with your new year resolutions?

XOXO Siatta Konah


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop my favourites: